A tremendous amount of attention is paid to women’s health issues, because women pay more attention to their health than men do. Women are better consumers of health products, and make most of the health-related decisions in their families. In fact, women are three times more likely to see a medical professional for their health than men, and on average, live 5 years longer than men do. Married men live longer than single men, likely because wives are bugging their husbands to see a doctor, and she’s forcing him to eat more vegetables!
Men need to pay attention to their diet, eat more fresh, raw, vegetables and fruit, maintain a healthy weight, and get appropriate health screenings. Supplementation has been shown to reduce health risks for men across the board. What are some specific health issues that men need to pay more attention to?
- Heart health– Heart disease is the leading cause of death in men. If a man has diabetes, he is 68% more likely to die from a heart attack. The good news is that risks for heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and high cholesterol can be greatly reduced by natural means: diet, exercise, and supplementation.
- Cancer- Prostate cancer is the leading cancer death among men. Fortunately, prostate cancer, like testicular cancer, is treatable with a high survival rate if it’s caught early. Sadly, since men are more likely to avoid doctor’s visits and health screenings, men are more likely to die from these cancers. Colon cancer falls into this category as well. (Listen to your wife- get those screenings!)
- Male- specific aging concerns – Men experience a mid-life change called andropause. Andropause is the slow decline in testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone hormones. Unlike menopause in women which ends a woman’s childbearing years, andropause results in a reduction of fertility, but not a cessation of fertility. As men age and testosterone decline, they are more likely than women to experience sarcopenia, which is the wasting away of muscle mass (which includes the heart muscle).
- Obesity – Men are more likely to gain weight around their belly than women. This weight is hormonally active, and significantly increases the risk of diabetes, cancer, high cholesterol, heart attack, and stroke. Obesity shortens your lifespan.
Staying health is important for your quality of life, reducing your medical costs, and to have more life with the people you love.
How to begin a health program
1) Clean up your diet. Eat more lean meat, more fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. Eat more whole grains. Cut back on processed foods and junk foods. Limit alcohol. Shaklee 180 has two programs: Shaklee 180® Turnaround and Lean and Healthy. The Turnaround program is an excellent way to develop a healthy eating lifestyle and lose weight. Lean and Healthy can be used for weight maintenance or as a beginning health program.
2) Drink more water. At least 6-8 8 ounce glasses of pure water per day. Sorry, coffee, tea, fruit juice and soda are not water. It’s optimal to drink half of your body weight in pure water everyday. Water helps brain function, joint function, increases metabolism, helps appetite control, and flushes toxins from your body. Shaklee’s Get Clean® water system is an inexpensive and good tasting way to drink pure water everyday.
3) Exercise. Even just 15 minutes of exercise everyday can make a significant difference in your health. Make sure to vary your exercise and include cardiovascular and strength training exercise.
4) Supplement. Many men begin their health program with supplementation. It’s a convenient way to get all of your vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Supplements have been shown to significantly reduce risk for every major health issue in America today: heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer’s, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, and more. The benefits of supplementation far outweigh any cost. In fact, a study by a Canadian scientist in Nova Scotia showed that for every dollar spent on health prevention, $28 dollars was saved on long term medical costs. That’s quite a return on investment!
Many of our clients begin on the Lean and Healthy program, or the Vitalizer and Vivix. RX for Life is an excellent, comprehensive program that includes targeted solutions for immunity and healthy aging. These programs can be placed on an autoship and get an extra 10% discount. Refer 3 friends who purchase Lean and Healthy and get yours free.
Want to talk? Call or email me: email@example.com or 757-301-1855. I’m on Eastern time.
Men’s Health: A Guy’s Guide to Health and Vitality Excellent. Medical professionals, athletes and business owners speak candidly about health issues and how Shaklee helped them overcome heart disease, obesity, low libido, and recovery from a near fatal accident.
Heart Health – cholesterol, heart muscle, blood pressure
Immune System – includes help for allergies